The Musée de la Gaspésie is the most important conservation facility for documents, books and artefacts pertaining to regional history. This vast collection, begun in the 1960s, is constantly drawn on for the production of exhibitions, activities and the Magazine Gaspésie.
The Musée de la Gaspésie Archives Centre is the only certified private archives repository in the Gaspésie administrative region. Its role is to acquire, process, conserve and disseminate documents essential to an understanding of the region’s past. It also houses a sizable heritage library, specialising in regional history. The Archives Centre is open to the general public. Whether you’re a researcher or simply interested in history or genealogy, our professional archivist is available to help you with your research and consultation needs.
Click here to access all of the documents available in our Archives Centre!
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm & 1:00 to 4:30 pm
Please note that the Archives Centre will be closed from August 10th through August 28th, inclusive.
Beginning June 29th, reservations are required. Please note the new terms.
The Musée de la Gaspésie Archive Centre has maintained its regular schedule and researchers can continue to consult the archival fonds at the centre. However, there are some new conditions governing visits:
- All researchers who wish to come to the room must book a time slot with the archivist beforehand, either by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by calling 418-368-1534, ext. 103. They must wait for confirmation before coming to the Archive Centre.
- We accept no more than 6 researchers at a time, including those from the Musée Archive Centre and BAnQ Gaspé.
- When you arrive at the Museum, please ring the bell and an employee will open the door for you.
- At all times, we ask you to maintain a distance of 2 metres from other people.
- The tables are set up 2 metres apart. Only one researcher per table.
- Library books and issues of Gaspésie Magazine are not available for open consultation. Please ask an employee to go and get the book you want for you.
- Books and archival documents will be quarantined for 72 hours following consultation. Please leave all books and documents consulted on the table when you leave.
- Researchers who wish to use a computer are advised to bring their own laptops since the computers in the research room are not accessible.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers are available in various locations.
- Masks will be mandatory for everyone 12 years and over beginning July 18, 2020.
Please note that only BAnQ Gaspé's remote service is available at this time.